Top 10 Waiver Wire Pickups
Jake Ciely (@allinkid) of RotoExperts.com ranks the highest 10 Fantasy Football waiver wire pickups of 2016.
With the Fantasy Soccer season in the books – or a minimum of it should be – we’ll look again at the top waiver wire pickups of the 12 months. Don’t worry, if you’re insane enough to play in Week 17, I’ll nonetheless provide you with a few choices at the tip. Simply be taught your lesson and don’t let Week 17 occur to you once more. With 4 playoffs group locked into their playoffs spot and nothing to play for, house owners of Steelers, Giants, Cowboys and Texans have to worry about players resting. Don’t do this to yourself. In any case, on to the highest waiver wire players of 2016!
Waiver Wire Honorable Mentions
Dak Prescott, DAL; Marcus Mariota, TEN and Colin Kaepernick, SF – For as great as Prescott was this 12 months, two huge letdowns in the course of the vital Weeks thirteen and 14 knock him down… No one scored more points and only Drew Brees had the next FPPG mark from Weeks 5-12 than Mariota did. Mariota had 23 touchdowns in that span however then fell apart in Weeks 14-15 earlier than breaking his leg in Week 16… Kaepernick doubtless saved some seasons, but the benching in Chicago and two mediocre video games after had many homeowners trying elsewhere beat t shirts during their championship game (in the event that they made it) whereas Kaepernick rebounded with 25.1 points.
Tevin Coleman, ATL; Ty Montgomery, GB; Darren Sproles, PHI; Bilal Powell, NYJ and Seahawks RBs – Coleman was helpful, but predicting when that worth got here was a fruitless endeavor… Montgomery was terrific, then not, then terrific, then not… Sproles helped quite a bit in PPR leagues… Powell possible helped playoff teams survive, but his value was not often there or dependable until Week 14 and then disappeared for the championship… Christine Michael, C.J. Prosise and Thomas Rawls (once so many dropped him that he became a waiver pickup) all had worth in some unspecified time in the future, however nobody lasted greater than a couple of games.
Tyreek Hill, KC; Taylor Gabriel, ATL; Marqise Lee, JAX; Adam Thielen, MIN; Malcolm Mitchell, NE; Robby Anderson, NYJ; J.J. Nelson, ARI; Dontrelle Inman and Travis Benjamin, SD – Hill was a terrific discover for the Chiefs and Fantasy owners alike… Gabriel, like Hill, got here on late and dropped six double-digit games in the second half of the season… Lee changed into the Jaguars most consistent receiver, particularly in PPR leagues… Thielen turned the Vikings finest receiver and led homeowners to a title with the most effective games for any receiver this yr in Week 16… Mitchell confirmed nice chemistry with Tom Brady when it came to scoring touchdowns… Anderson was Bryce Petty’s favorite option. Too dangerous his worth tied directly to him… Nelson had a few good video games to complete out the season after the numerous Cardinals injuries and the Michael Floyd mess… Each Chargers receivers helped house owners at time, however there was zero consistency with them and Benjamin became a disappointment earlier than hitting the waiver wire and providing a number of decent games.
Jimmy Graham, SEA and C.J. Fiedorowicz, HOU – Despite Graham being a Top 10 tight finish that got here without spending a dime, he misses the general High 10 attributable to too many weeks of subpar performances… Fiedorowicz was a great discover however accidents and up-and-down games hurt his value.
Prime 10 Waiver Wire Pickups of the Yr
10 (tie). Terrelle Pryor, CLE and Tyrell Williams, SD – I’m grouping Pryor and Williams together because they’re all too related and exhausting to separate for 10th place. If absolutely forced, I’d give the slight edge to Williams over Pryor, as he had eight weeks of double-digit points to Pryor’s six. On prime of that, whereas each have over 900 yards, Pryor has just four touchdowns to Williams’ seven. The problem with each receivers and what keeps them from rating increased is their late season collapses. Pryor’s was worse with 0.3, 1.9 and 3.6 over the past three video games, but he did nearly singlehandedly win weeks earlier within the yr. As for Williams, his 6.Eight and a pair of.0 scores before his championship week 12.Four likely left some homeowners unable to reap the ultimate week reward. The more I write about them, the extra I really feel as if I’d boot Pryor from the list, but it’s simply laborious to depart him off with the affect he had for much of the year.
9. Jamison Crowder, WSH – Crowder edges out Pryor and Williams… barely. After all, simply as with Pryor, Crowder ghosted us when it mattered most. In actual fact, it’s seemingly more homeowners had been damage by Crowder’s performances than Pryor’s scores as a consequence of Pryor’s crew and quarterback scenario. For that purpose, many had been already benching Pryor before he could cost owners video games. However, Crowder turned in a terrific seven-recreation stretch with at least eight.Eight factors in each game and an average of eleven.9 FPPG, which jumps to 17.2 in PPR with a low score of 13.2. However, Crowder managed simply four.Four in commonplace and 13.4 in PPR during the last three games, which included a one-catch, three-yard effort in Week sixteen. Ouch.
Eight. Spencer Ware, KC – Ware was imagined to be a Prime 10 working back instead of Jamaal Charles. That didn’t occur. Ware isn’t even going to crack RB1 status with two names greater up this listing ahead of him in less starts, and with Melvin Gordon nonetheless forty nine factors ahead despite being out the final three video games (primarily). Ware has just 4 double-digit scores heading into the final week with five video games of eight factors or much less. Ware turned out to be an honest RB2, however that’s not what owners were anticipating. Whereas Ware is a disappointment compared to expectations, the truth that he by no means left you fully dry with eleven double-digit PPR games put him inside the top 10.
7. Robert Kelley, WSH – Like Ware, Kelley was good, simply not nice. The one motive I give Kelley the slight edge is because he outscored Ware a tad over the past three games and had that monster Week 11, which practically assured a win for his homeowners. As with Ware again, Kelley had some down games, by no means something soul crushing, however was a mid-degree RB2 and never fairly a season-changer. In PPR leagues, Ware gets the edge for the seventh spot.
6. Michael Thomas, NO – Thomas never had fewer than 40 receiving yards and posted seven double-digit scores, together with two games of 19.Three and 22.Eight points. Not only is Thomas on the verge of cracking 1,000 receiving yards, however solely 5 receivers have extra touchdowns and solely teammate Brandin Cooks has more yards for receivers with eight touchdowns. Thomas’ consistency is an enormous consider his value, as he was able to assist each week. That’s rare for a rookie receiver, and homeowners were able to scoop up a WR2 early this 12 months and keep Thomas within the lineup every week.
5. Cameron Brate, TB – A tight end? Positively! Since Week three, solely two tight ends have more Fantasy points than Brate. Since Week 9, solely Travis Kelce outscored Brate, and that wasn’t the case till Kelce’s blowup in opposition to the Broncos last week. Remember, Brate barely performed the primary two weeks earlier than the Bucs shipped off Austin Seferian-Jenkins. In a 12 months where we lost Rob Gronkowski, had Jordan Reed miss video games, noticed Kelce and Greg Olsen only catch four and three touchdowns, respectively, and had Delanie Walker and others take a step back, Brate was a godsend at the position. Brate leads all tight ends with eight touchdowns and has extra double-digit scores than Olsen.
Four. Davante Adams, GB – That is the Adams house owners expected to see last year once they took him in the first five rounds after Jordy Nelson’s injury. Adams clearly worked hard to improve his route running and hands, and it paid dividends. If not for his inconsistency, Adams would have contended for the very best pickup of the 12 months. Actually, you possibly can argue for Thomas over Adams resulting from consistency, and i wouldn’t bat an eye fixed. Nevertheless, Adams edged Thomas out with yet another double-digit game, two of which got here in Weeks 14 and sixteen. As talked about, the inconsistency hurts Adams, as seen in Week 15 with 2.5 factors, however that’s why there is a big jump from Adams to the highest three waiver wire pickups of 2016.
3. Men’s In Rainbows Desgin Long Sleeve T-Shirt Jay Ajayi, MIA – If not for the Dolphins failing to decide to their finest operating back absolutely (once more), Ajayi might have contended for the top spot. In any case, what number of players can boast three games of 200-plus speeding yards? The reply? None. In actual fact, there was only one different recreation the place a operating again topped 200 dashing yards, and that was by Le’Veon Bell. As mentioned, the issue with Ajayi is his utilization. Along with those matchup-changing performances, Ajayi additionally had 5 games with fewer than nine Fantasy points, together with 6.3 and 5.1 in Weeks 14-15. The Week 16 26.9-level effort gained homeowners titles, however some may not have made it that far thanks to the 2 prior weeks. Nonetheless, getting a running back with this kind of affect and that ranks inside the highest 10 at the place is a reward price celebrating. Too unhealthy a lot of those who drafted Ajayi had to drop him early within the yr whereas the Dolphins tried to keep making Arian Foster a factor.
2. Jordan Howard, CHI – Whereas Ajayi had the higher ceiling, Howard got here through extra frequently and didn’t disappoint late within the season. In truth, Howard rattled off 5 straight video games of eleven or more points to close out the Fantasy season with a 29.7 rating in Week thirteen and 17.Three in Week 15. Since taking over in Week four, only 5 running backs had extra Fantasy factors than Howard, and it might have been even much less if beat t shirts not for John Fox being John Fox in Week 7. As mentioned, these ultimate 5 games marked the difference between Howard and Ajayi with sixteen.7 FPPG for Ajayi. Howard turned a High 10 operating back and a many house owners high operating again, as they rode Howard to a title.
1. Matt Ryan, ATL – Apologies to the running backs and receivers, but we merely can’t ignore what Ryan did this yr. Not only did owners get a QB1 off the wire, they got a High three quarterback that ranked among the best. Ryan is simply behind Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees in Fantasy factors and FPPG. What’s more essential although is that Ryan hit QB1 standing in 12 of his 16 games. Only Rodgers matched that number with Ryan having a median rank of 8.7 this 12 months. Rodgers’ average rank was higher at 7.Four, however scored much less FPPG in his 4 non-QB1 video games than Ryan did (14.4 for Rodgers, Ryan for 15.7). That means even at his worse, Ryan was nonetheless higher than Rodgers at his worse and better than several quarterbacks in those down weeks (common finish of 17 in these 4 games). As for Brees, he actually had six non-QB1 video games with a median rank of 21 and FPPG of eleven.6. Ryan was a real “set it and forget it” quarterback that isn’t solely within the dialog for NFL MVP but Fantasy MVP as effectively. Fantasy players would count on a operating again to be the waiver pickup of the year, but you can’t ignore the season Ryan had.